1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tired TC2 Thornton Colorado Back on Craigs List! $1200

Thanks to 6pkfursure from bimmerforums for sending me the 'heads up' on this ad.  We saw this same ad in January, and once before that!  Perhaps he is ready to sell this time!  It is a project, apparently.  Seller says that it is not running, yet he also says that it can be 'jumped' and driven onto a trailer!  So it is not seized, but it will overheat 'after a few minutes".  

6pkfursure has looked at it:
" I've looked at the car.  Attached is a photo of the baur tag.   Car is rough.  Interior shot. Dashboard busted up.  No rear bumper.  Rear end damage.  Rust over wheel wells."

So caveat emptor, for sure. 

Looking for a project?  Grab this cheap, get it road worthy, and enjoy a fun car while you take your time finishing the restoration.  You will own a rare car that is a piece of BMW automotive history.  Did I mention that it is 5 speed E30, generally recognized as one of the best cars BMW ever built?  And a blast to drive?  Oh, yeah that too!  ;)

Baur Number 41215 (pic by 6pkfursure)










"I have a neat, rare BMW for sale. It's a 323i TC Baur. Before BMW started making 3 series convertibles, you could buy one converted by Baur in Germany then have it imported into the US. As such, it's a grey market car with all the euro goodies that BMW had to offer in 1984. These cars are rare and getting much more difficult to find. This is only the second one I've seen in my life. 

I've owned the car for about 3.5 years. Since it was imported it's been a Colorado vehicle. I've got receipts for this car for the past couple decades! I bought the car in fairly poor condition and sadly, I've not done anything to it. I'm tired of it taking up space in my garage so I'm offering it as an excellent parts car or a great vehicle to restore.

Info about the car:
- 1984 BMW 323i TC Baur (that's a mouthful! The 323 engine was the performance model for 1984 and is very similar to the 325 of that era).
- The top is two pieces. There is a center targa portion like a Honda Del Sol that stores in the trunk, then the back part folds down like a regular convertible. All the framework around the doors remain in tact once the top is folded down.
- Has all the euro goodies that was available at the time!
- Silver with blue interior (yay 80s!)
- 188k miles
- 5spd
- The car is water tight and can be stored outside.
- Clear title! Not salvage.

Things that are bad or that the car needs:
- Currently not running.
- Needs a battery
- Will overheat after a few minutes. I think the thermostat is not opening, but I haven't looked into it.
- Leaks oil from the oil pan. I have a new gasket for it but haven't done anything with it.
- No stereo.
- Cracked dash and windshield.
- Interior isn't in the best shape.
- Misc scratches and dings around the car.

This car will need to be towed away. It can be jumped and driven onto a trailer. All the tires hold air and I've only had to refill them once since I've owned it. 

As you can see, this car isn't perfect. I bought it because of how rare it was and had ambitions to restore / mod the car. I haven't touched it in 3.5 years! It's time to face the reality that I probably won't get around to working on this car. I'm looking to sell the car for $1200. I am pretty firm on the price. It's a pretty cool little car that just needs a weekend of love to be a great runner! If you feel the need to email with ridiculous "cash" offers (really? How else were you planning on paying?) please save you and me some grief. I'm just looking to sell the car outright and am not interested in trades or payments. If you're serious about owning a cool piece of BMW history please email me with you questions and / or phone number to schedule a time to see this car. Thanks for looking!

I understand that this car is pretty rare, but I will not sell it to an out of state buyer. I will not have the car shipped. I will only sell this car face to face. The car will need to be trailered home. If you want to bring in a trailer from another state and buy it, that's fine."


Thank you, 6pkfursure!

Now somebody go grab this!   ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment