1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Small Baur World ......... STRIKES AGAIN! Chickensaw Baur #1929



Once again, thanks to help from our Baurspotter friends out there (THEPOOLEMAN, in this case----AGAIN!) we have nailed down the identity of a Baur that we have been searching for since April.

Here is how it happened:

The following is an excerpt from the original Baurspotting blog post on this car, when I first came across it in r3vlimited back in April, 2012:


Ok, Baurhunters.  I was surfing through r3vlimited today and I came across this Baur from September 2007.


Your Mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find this Baur!  :)  I have attached some clues below.... it bears a remarkable resemblance to conkitchen's white Baur, which he transformed into the car that is now docjohn's in Arizona!  


Stay tuned!
(Ed. Note:  As it turns out, this Baur is NOT conkitchen's white Baur.  False alarm.)


The following was posted by funkmast in r3vlimited back in 2007:

RARE RARE - 81 323i baur - full zender kit and recaros

Feel free to cross-post to an E21 board... I dont know of any...

------------------------------------------------------------

1981 323i Baur convertible --PROJECT CAR--

This is a very VERY rare car. It is rare to find E21 323i's, and it is rare to find E21 Baur's. To find an E21 323i Baur, is nearly unheard of.

This is a project car, and deserves to be put back on the road.
Clear title.
Will part out if no takers (would be a shame)

*Full authentic zender kit (airdam, side skirts, rear skirt)
*euro bumpers in good condition
*2.7L M20 (not hooked up)
*5 speed trans
*150k on chassis
*no diff
*15" fittipaldi reps available, comes with bottlecap wheels
*dash is cracked, recaros have been recovered (and need it again)
*top has some tears

$2000 obo
Attached Images






Yesterday, Baurspotter THEPOOLEMAN emailed me a heads up about a Baur that just showed up for sale in E21 bimmerforums.


FS: 80 Baur 323i

I have this 1980 Baur e21, a project I didn't complete. It needs a transmission and rear dif. Its has a complete 84 2.7 eta m20.
Im asking $200 just so this doesn't end up sitting in someone yard. You must tow. Portland, Oregon


When I check out the thread, the wheels on the Baur look familiar to me, and it is located in Oregon curiously close to where the Chickensaw Baur from r3vlimited in 2007 (above).  I check back to that post, and sure enough it looks like we have a match!

A little while later the seller in bimmerforums acknowledges that they are, in fact, one and the SAME car.... two pics posted 5 years apart!

Small Baur World ... STRIKES AGAIN!

:)

The seller posted these pics in bimmerforums with his for sale ad yesterday:










Since the seller added these two pics (below) today, we are now able to firmly identify this Baur:  It is Baur Plate #1929, which is NOT listed in the International Baur Registry, so this qualifies as a NEW FIND!  

Apparently, the sale of this Baur is being negotiated behind the scenes in bimmerforums as we speak.  

SAVE THE BAURS!  

UPDATE 5:47pm:  SOLD to bimmerforums member Twelvizm!  Congrats, Adam!  Welcome to the Baur World!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm excited and little bit scared of how much work needs to be done. The car needs a complete paint job and has the typical cancer in the typical places. The top need replacing and the M20B27 in it currently is only sitting in the bay.

    My immediate plans are to make it a runner again. I have a M20B23 and 4spd transmission that will be put in right away. I'll then start on sorting out million other things.

    It was funny that I found this when I did. I was going to BFc to bump my "Looking for a 323i" thread when I saw the seller's post. It turns out that the car was located within 5 miles of my house. Perfect timing! Now I have an E21 worth restoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Adam! Amazing how it turned up almost right under your nose! And you can't go wrong for that price, no matter WHAT happens! Have fun!

    And, btw, best wishes to your family. I hear that this Baur may not be the ONLY new baby in the house soon! May B0TH of your new acquisitions bring you much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot Tom! I'm sure both are going to bleed my wallet dry too. But, I'll treasure them both.

    I have to let it be known that this car might go under the knife to become a Kohl style Baur. I'm still in the brainstorming phase of how I would make it happen. But, it would look roughly like the one found here:

    http://rides.webshots.com/album/47675529tpILYs

    ReplyDelete