1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Baurspotting vs. DMV Part IV: The Empire Strikes Back!

Is it over yet?  No, sadly, it is not.
Driving around the 'work in progress' with my temporary plates.  Pic by Brian Schuch.

You may have seen my earlier post in which I mention that I had gotten my temporary plates.   Having temp plates allows me to drive the car for a set number of days, during which time I must get the car's VIN checked.  The VIN check is required to provide proof and protection against the registration of a stolen car, for example.

So far, so good.

Thursday, June 27, 2013.  I have taken two days off from work to allow my wife and I to visit our 20 month old grandson, and babysit him for a couple of days while his parents work.   A Labor of Love.  Since I already have the time off, I thought I may be able to take an hour or so to go to the local DMV office (not my usual office.... this one is across the state), to get my permanent plate for the 1973 2002.

1:30pm.  The baby is down for a nap, my wife will stay with him, so I take the opportunity to gather my paperwork together and head out to the DMV.  I have all that is required (VIN check form completed and signed, previous registration form complete showing paid sales tax, and, of course, my Bill of Sale and insurance card.

Everything appears to be in good order..... what could possibly go wrong?

Famous last words.  ;)

Ugh!  Another triumph for Murphy's Law!  I didn't see this one coming, folks!

I arrive at DMV, get my number at the check in window, and prepare to hunker down for what appears to be another 1 1/2 hour wait, at least.  No biggie, I have everything I need, I believe, so one more go-round with DMV staff is a manageable thing.  One more and I am done.

Ha!

Done IN is more like it.

After 1 1/2 hours on the bench, I approach the window in turn to find...... the VIN check guy didn't complete the form properly!  What?  there is a section in which he is supposed to note where on the car he found the VIN numbers during his check, apparently,  and he left them blank!  I am not familiar with the form, so I didnt know he had to do this!  I thought he knew what he was doing, and that it was complete!

Day um!

And, despite my pleading and cajoling with the DMV clerk, she said there is nothing she can do until the VIN checker properly completes the form.  She suggests that I take it back to him.   I explain to her that the shop is 80 miles away, and I wont be back there for a few days.  She suggested that I take the car to a local guy, pay another 10 bucks and just redo the VIN check.  I explained to her that unfortunately the car itself was ALSO 80  miles away at home, so this was impossible.  She smiled weakly at me and said, "Sorry.  If there was anything I could do, I would do it.  But there isnt.  The form simply needs to be completed."  I told her I knew where he found the VINs, because I found them FOR him!  Could I just tell her where they were, and fill it in myself.

Ha!  Yeah, right!  No way, Jose.  The Empire has struck back!

Curses, foiled again..... AGAIN!

;)

I have now spent over 5 hours sitting in three separate DMV offices, not to mention the travel time and the time spent for the VIN check.... and still no permanent plates on my car!

Now it looks like I may may be forced to resort to my fall-back, Fail-Safe resources once again.  My politeness, patience, cajolery, even begging and good faith efforts to comply with DMV's requirements have all failed me.

I believe it is time once again for the tried and true techniques that have worked without fail for me:   Old Age and Treachery!

;)

Stay tuned!


The complete 5 part series:
The whole sordid story is really too long to post completely in here, so here it is broken up into digestible segments.
Enjoy!

Baurspotting vs. DMV: A Tragedy In Four Parts. OK Maybe Five.


Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV: A Tragedy In Four Parts. OK Maybe Five.

Baurspotting vs. DMV Part II: Curses, Foiled Again!

Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV Part II: Curses, Foiled Again!

Baurspotting vs. DMV III: Old Age and Cunning Triumph Over Bureaucracy and Red Tape!

Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV III: Old Age and Cunning Triumph Over Bureaucracy and Red Tape!


Baurspotting vs. DMV Part IV: The Empire Strikes Back!

Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV Part IV: The Empire Strikes Back!

Baurspotting vs. DMV Part V: Yes, Virginia, There IS a Santa Claus

Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV Part V: Yes, Virginia, There IS a Santa Claus








No comments:

Post a Comment