1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Baurspotting vs. DMV III: Old Age and Cunning Triumph Over Bureaucracy and Red Tape!

 If I didn't know better, I might think that all the various state Motor Vehicle Departments were in league with each other.  

You may recall from my first post in this series that my attempt to register my 1973 BMW 2002 was shot down at my local DMV, because I inadvertently shared an expired registration form provided by the seller.  I naively believed that it might be helpful to show the seller's name on an official Rhode Island form.  Instead, because the registration showed an expiration date of 2008, the DMV clerk informed me that I would now have to provide proof from RI that this seller was the owner of record.

So, the following morning I contacted Rhode Island Motor Vehicles.  I explained what I needed to them, and I was referred to their Records and Research office in Cranston.  And guess what? There are two ways to deal with this office, their recording says:  1)  you can come to the office in person, present your request with proper ID and forms, and they will give you what you need;  2) you can complete their online form and mail it to them.  They will check their records and send a response. 

These are the ONLY two ways to deal with this office.  They do not answer the phone.  The only way to talk to a live person in this office---- let's say you were unclear on what materials you had to present to them----- is to appear there yourself.  If you failed to present the proper materials, you could be sent home empty-handed, and then have to make another trip.

Well there is just no way that I am going to drive all the way to Cranston, RI for this, and I notice that there is no response time listed for mailed in requests. Who knows how long it would take them to respond, or to tell me that I improperly dotted an 'i' on the form, and needed to re-submit a NEW form!  Ugh!  I needed to find a better way around this bureaucracy.  

I decided that the only way to beat them at their own game was to resort to cunning and devious means of my own!

My mistake was in allowing the DMV clerk to see that RI registration.  I gathered up my paper work again, and set out for the OTHER local DMV office, to avoid the possibility of encountering the same DMV clerk if I returned to Old Saybrook.  

Upon entering the Norwich DMV I was presented with my assigned number:  D688!!  The very same number I had been assigned in Old Saybrook.  What are the chances of this?  I decided that this is a good sign:  I was being given the opportunity for a do-over!

Sure enough, my ploy worked like a charm! The clerk this time was very pleasant and nice, checked through the very same paperwork as the previous clerk---- except for the old RI registration.  I was promptly issued a temporary plate, and when I asked this person the same question about getting the VIN checked, she reached into a file cubbiehole, and produced a list of places which could do the VIN check.  The Meineke shop that I had been previously told could NOT do it, was listed as an approved site for all VIN checks!  Not only that, but also included in that list was another approved shop for VIN checks..... less than 3 miles from my house!

Whoa!

That means that the clerk in Old Saybrook was either ignorant, or she deliberately lied to me in saying I had to go to the DMV in Hamden or Willimantic!   Both, incidentally, are an hour's drive for me.  To describe me as being a little annoyed with her would be a gross understatement.  Her conduct was unacceptable.

But, I am happy.  I did have to wait 1/ 1/2 hours for the second time at the DMV, but at least I had temporary plates to show for it this time!



However, ufortunately, the story doesn't end here.  I still have to actually get the VIN checked, and I will then need to return to the DMV to transfer my permanent Early American plate.

Stay tuned for the next installment:  "Baurspotting vs. DMV  Part IV:  The Empire Strikes Back!"

;)

The complete 5 part series:
The whole sordid story is really too long to post completely in here, so here it is broken up into digestible segments.
Enjoy!

Baurspotting vs. DMV: A Tragedy In Four Parts. OK Maybe Five.


Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV: A Tragedy In Four Parts. OK Maybe Five.

Baurspotting vs. DMV Part II: Curses, Foiled Again!

Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV Part II: Curses, Foiled Again!

Baurspotting vs. DMV III: Old Age and Cunning Triumph Over Bureaucracy and Red Tape!

Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV III: Old Age and Cunning Triumph Over Bureaucracy and Red Tape!


Baurspotting vs. DMV Part IV: The Empire Strikes Back!

Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV Part IV: The Empire Strikes Back!

Baurspotting vs. DMV Part V: Yes, Virginia, There IS a Santa Claus

Baurspotting: Baurspotting vs. DMV Part V: Yes, Virginia, There IS a Santa Claus

No comments:

Post a Comment