1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Baurspotting Visits Sports Car Restoration!

After spending several wonderful hours in the glorious sunshine at the Klingberg Vintage Motorcar Festival, I decided to take a quick shot over to Sports Car Restoration, which is located in the next town over.  I know they are often in the shop on Saturdays at least part of the day, and, although it was getting late, I thought it was worth a try.  I don't get up this way very often, so what the hell.
I was a little bummed out because I had just gotten a 'low battery' reading on my iPhone--- apparently due to the fact that I had taken soooo many pics at Klingberg!  Stay tuned for those, btw!





Anyway, back to our story.  I arrived at SCR to a deserted parking lot.  But I did see the signs above, and there was one nice looking E30 parked near the door, so I knew I had the right place.
Just as I was getting in my car to leave, another car pulls into the lot.
This one!

Now, I would know that car anywhere, and I immediately realized that it was Nate W., one of the SCR staff.

Bingo!  Perhaps I am in luck after all!  

Nate stated he had a few things to take car of in the shop, and he very graciously invited me inside, along with another couple, Rob and Abby Theriaque, who had also just arrived to pick up the the E30 that I had seen parked outside.

The following are the pics I took inside the shop


BMW 2002 Cabrio Targa by Baur

BMW 2002 Cabrio Targa by Baur

BMW 2002 Cabrio Targa by Baur

1600 Voll Cabrio by Baur

1600 Voll Cabrio by Baur

Bare Bones Baur Targa!

Bare Bones Baur Targa!

Bare Bones Baur Targa!

2002 Turbo!

E9





Lotus


Lotus





Another 2002 Turbo!



RHD Colorado

Nate Neu Klasse

BMW 700 Cabrio by Baur

BMW 700 Cabrio by Baur

BMW 700 Cabrio by Baur


These pics do not do justice to the scope of work that is going on inside SCR.   I have been there once before, several (4-5) years ago, when I purchased a used auto tranny for my E30 325iC.  At the time I knew nothing of Sports Car Restoration, and I only thought I was buying a tranny from a guy named 'Matt" at his "shop".  
 It was only when I arrived to pick it up that I discovered that "Matt" was Matt McGinn, and his shop was SCR. !!!  Several guys were in the shop working on a Saturday afternoon, and I spent the next 1/2 hour, or so, totally mouth agape, as I was very graciously given a little tour of the place.  I will never forget that one of the guys was making a quarter panel for an '02 as I watched!  

Nate very graciously guided us around the shop, and, to my utter amazement, opened a door into a second large shop area that I had no clue existed!  I did not see this the first time I was here!  This second area probably roughly DOUBLES the square footage of what I thought was the original shop.  Wow!  More E10, E9 and Baur goodness inside!  I was mouth agape again!  I love this stuff!  

Nate could not have been more friendly, welcoming and gracious.  I apologize to Nate, Rob and Abby, btw, if I seemed a little preoccupied as I kind of drifted about on my own, taking pics.  I didn't mean to seem anti-social, but I was having " A Day in the Life "  moment..... specifically the moment that occurs at 2:50 of this video.  Please forgive me.  :)  

It was great!  

Anyway, enjoy the pics!  Much more going on there than I show here.  If you get a chance, and you are in the area, by all means, you owe it to yourself to stop by Sports Car Restoration, 123 Whiting Street, Plainville, CT.  It is a treasure!   And a Treasure Chest!  Call first:  (860) 793-2002.

While it was a real pleasure to chat with Nate, who is an excellent ambassador for SCR, one of these days I would like to go back 
 to SCR to interview Matt McGinn, and give him another forum to get the word out on the excellent work they do at Sports Car Restoration.  

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment