1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Friday, June 14, 2013

The Hack Mechanic Is #1 in Amazon Car Repair Books!

and it isn't even about car repair!  :)

Rob Siegel posted this tonight in 2002faq.  Baurspotting is a big fan of Rob's and we are pleased to help get the word out!  

Congrats to Rob!  This is well deserved and we are all rooting for you!

Posted Today, 08:16 PM
I'm a little uneasy about self-promotion (I think my working guideline is do it until it feels icky, then do it once more, then stop), but Bentley Publishers has done some amazing things, and I'm trying to do my part.

Two weeks ago, "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic: How Fixing Broken BMWs Helped Make Me Whole (a memoir with actual useful stuff)" had twin reviews in The New York Times and The Boston Globe. Last week the Roundel review came out, penned by our own Paul Wegweiser. Bentley did a local Father's Day promotion with radio spots on the local NPR station, including during Car Talk and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Yesterday autoblog.com published a review that got picked up by many web aggregators. Excerpts from and links to all the reviews can be seen at http://www.bentleypu...el/reviews.html.

I am astonished to say that, at present, "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic" is the #1 selling car repair book onAmazon (it rocks in and out of the #1 slot depending on when you check). Not bad for a book that isn't really about car repair.

Perhaps even more amazing are the other ranking numbers. It's #12 in Humor-->Parenting and Families. Forgive me, but that's, well, funny! And the overall ranking... as of this post, the book has broken into Amazon's top 1000 best-selling books. Because, hey, a book with a round tail light and a guy in an insulated mechanic's suit on the cover is designed to appeal to everyone, right?

I can't tell you how good it feels to, as Paul Wegweiser says, shine a light on this car guy thing we all do. Indulging passions. Trying to keep 'em running. Finding that balance between playful madness and flat-out insanity. I'm still figuring it out, just like the rest of you.

Anyone who has purchased and spread the word about the book, thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you've read and like the book, if you could post a review on Amazon, Bentley and I would be even more in your debt than we already are.

--Rob (just like you, only possibly smiling harder. unless you're Adam who wrote the petrolicious piece. he seemed to be smiling particularly hard.)

Attached Thumbnails

  • #1 best seller in car repair.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment