With the help of the "Green Monster', I was able to successfully pull the M20 323i with tranny out of the 1979 BMW this morning. It came out without a hitch, and I took lots of pics. As you can see I used a poly strap around the engine to lift it, and, since the Law of Gravity is still in effect, I used the weight of the tranny to get the proper tilt to clear the firewall, the subframe and the front grill. No need for an engine leveler. I will post them with all the details on how it was done later on today, after I separate the tranny from that engine.
Catch of the Day, 2013 Edition!
Stay tuned! ;)
Here is the prelude to this post: http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2013/12/pulling-m20-323i-as-spare-for-my-baur.html
Here are the pics of today's project: pulling the M20 323i from the 1979 E21:
I used the 1977 320i to pull the 323i a little further up the driveway away from the garage to get clearance for the hoist.
I used a jack to lift the rear of the tranny enough to get over the front subframe.
I used another floor jack to lift the subframe enough to get the extended legs of the crane far enough under the car for the correct lift angle.
As you can see, the weight of the tranny as we lift is enough to tilt the engine at a great angle: clearing the firewall, the front subframe, and the front grill as you can see in this pic.
Now we just lift straight up.
Beautiful! I LOVE hydraulic power!
At this angle, you can see where I have positioned the poly strap around the engine on the exhaust manifold side just behind the oil pan sump.
Up, up and away!
Completely out and clear of the front grill.
Here you can see the poly strap on the intake side: in this case I threaded it through the intake manifold, and behind the left engine mount.
Amazingly effortless to pull that baby outta there! And that crane has gotta be about 9 feet high in this pic... and could have gone higher!
I set the engine down on my homemade car stands, preparing to pull the tranny off. Once I get the tranny off, I will mount the engine on a proper engine stand.
Pic of the engine on the stand from the front. The Baur is observing the action in the background.
Here you can see the position of the yellow poly strap behind the engine mount on the intake side.
The poly strap is in front of the engine mount on the exhaust side.
The rear of the engine on the temporary stand.
The homemade wheel stand. That baby isn't going to collapse anytime soon!
The engine and its former home, the 1979 E21.
Getrag 5 speed
Mission accomplished.... and a fun project!
Happy New Year, everyone! :)