1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Part I: The Bav Auto Show and Shine October 5, 2014 Portsmouth, New Hampshire


This is Part I of a planned multi-part blog post about the Bavarian Auto Show and Shine, which Baurspotting attended on October 5, 2014 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.  We had the opportunity to meet up with several fellow Baur owners, and to also meet some new friends (one of whom has recently become a Baur owner himself)!  It was a great day all around!

I left my home in Connecticut while it was still dark, and met my friend and fellow Baur owner, Afonso (also from Connecticut), about halfway there.  We joined two other Baur owners, along with a number of 2002's and others, at a designated meeting spot a short distance from Bav Auto, and then we all drove in together!  Thanks to Scott S. of Nor'East 02ers for organizing that meetup and including us!  It was great fun!

Two Baur Cabrio Targas at the meetup 7am in Portsmouth, NH.



Two E21 Top Cabriolets at the meet up 7am in Portsmouth, NH.


A varierty of BMW appeared at the appointed time:  mostly 2002s, but also an M3, E9, and of course our two E21 baurs!

1960 Chevrolet with a humongous Cheeseburger on its roof, for some unknown reason.  This car is parked in the lot of a Mexican Restaurant.  Go figure.  So, naturally,  it seemed like the perfect place for a meetup.  Or was that a .... meat up.    Hmm. I don't know, I wasn't part of the planning.  I will have to ask Scott.  

This Bavaria is the rare Hack Mechanic Edition, which comes with a book affixed to its windshield.  Rarely seen---- the car that is, not the book, fortunately.  The book is ubiquitous, and deservedly so.  





























I was going to tell this owner that it looks like he needs to do a better job of tightening his lugs nuts, or .... hell, maybe he is missing a couple!  .... but I couldn't find him.   I hope somebody warns him before he gets this out on the road, and has a problem.  I really hate it when a wheel falls off.  ;)
The Smartest Folks at Bav Auto today!

Notice he is holding the pole, and that there is an empty table in front of him....  at the moment!  That table will soon be filled with..... LUNCH!

Why are these folks smiling?  Because they know that they are FIRST in line for food!


True Story:  Food is served at 12 noon.  This is 11:09AM, and these two folks are already in line!  Brilliant!  If you have been to Bav Auto Show and Shine, you know that it is a fundraiser for the Susan Komen Breast Canceer fund.  They serve a great lunch----FREE---- but they do provide a donation jar.   The food line, however, much like the parking line when the gates open, is seemingly endless.  There is a huge amount of mouths to feed.   They do a fantastic job, considering, but the wait in line time for lunch can be..... lengthy!  That is not a bad thing, btw, because there is a real party atmosphere, everyone is quite friendly, and there is a lot of socializing and friendly fraternizing during the wait.  And everyone knows it's free, and that it is for a good cause, so ... seldom is heard a discouraging word in the food line, despite the wait, which can be an hour or so. But worth the wait, incidentally:  bratwurst, hot dogs, cheeseburgers, chips , cookies, pickles.... it is all good!  They also have beer available, but that isn't free, or so I am told. 
We spotted our friend and '02 owner Lee P. in the crowd!

So.... why are these folks so brilliant, you might ask?  I spoke with them about this very thing, and their logic is..... compelling!  Here is a simplistic summation:  if you want to eat, you are going to have to wait in line, because there is such a huge turnout,... well it just takes time!  These folks decided to do their waiting BEFORE the food came out...... at the very head of the line!  They were the first ones served... . boom! and they are done!  They were then free to go back to touring the beautiful cars in the lot..... on a full belly! 

I had breakfast about 3:30am, so by 11 o'clock.... I was MORE than ready for lunch! I immediately saw the brilliance of their plan!    And I went 'one up' on them!  If I was gonna wait in line for an hour for food.... I was gonna be comfortable!  I quickly scooted back to my car, grabbed my camp chair (!!!), and returned to the line, which no one else had yet joined!  I was third in line for food, and .... I could sit and check my email, surf the internet, text friends...... all while comfortably SEATED!  ;)   YES!

After all. I take the words of one of my heroes to heart:
'Mr. Winston Churchill, sir, to what do you attribute your success in life?' and he said without hesitating: 'Economy of effort. Never stand up when you can sit down, and never sit down when you can lie down.' And he then got into his limo."


And I agree!   ;)



But it didn't end there!  Bav Auto staff ALSO noticed the brilliance of their plan, and swung by just before the food floodgates opened to interview them!  





























Notice the photographer has his camera on an extended stand.  You will see some Bav Auto pics in a later post where it appears that the camera is positioned high above the cars in the pics.  This might be the guy who took those pics, using that extended pole with a remote shutter button to get that high angle.  Great idea, btw.  Whoever took those pics really did a good job!  Very clever.

UPDATE:  Bav Auto posted some pics of the food line!



You will recognize these two folks!  I am seated directly behind them, checking my phone.


Almost time to eat!

Lunch is served!  I am at the 5th table from the left, opposite the guy in the white jacket.  Thanks to Bav Auto for these pics!

Stay tuned for more blog posts on the Bav Auto Show!   

Coming up next:

Part II:  THE BAURS at Bav Auto Show and Shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment