1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Doppelganger: The POOLEMAN's Baur Twin Found!

It has been said that we all have a double out there somewhere.  Eric Clapton, for example, is reportedly frequently mistaken for Rob Siegel, the famous author of "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic".  I myself, was once mistaken for David Cassidy, once upon a time.  (Who?  ;)  )   Well, our friend Ed, THEPOOLEMAN, by an extraordinary coincidence, has found his Baur's Doppelganger.... once again proving that it is indeed a Small Baur World!

  1. "For the past four years I have heard rumors of Alpine white TC2 that is a clone of my car located in state of NH , I have found it and here it is. More to come".
    ---THE POOLEMAN
The full story is here in the POOLEMAN's own words!

VIN  9165868
  1. here's the full story about my search for this car.

    There is a small independent BMW sales and service provider located in the Lakes region of the state, they have been around for many and have great reputation, I know a guy who works there and about four or five years ago I ran into him and he told me that this car had been in for service, when he first saw it he thought it was my car with good reason as we all can clearly see.
    I asked him to pass along my contact info to the owner, which he did , the owners are not enthusiasts so I understand . As time went on I kept that car in the back of mind and hoped I'd find it one day.
    Last week I was sitting at my desk at work and the internet sales manager came up to me and said he had a guy on the phone who had questions about a 1984 323i convertible, and parts availability. I looked at him and said " it has to be a Baur if its a 1984 convertible" The call gets transferred to me and I have a half hour long conversation with the insurance adjuster who is handling the claim.
    After a very short time I realize that it's the car I have looking for all this time. The adjuster put the body shop owner in contact with me and the rest is history.
    A small Baur world indeed
    Now where is next unknown Baur going to be found ?
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1691140-A-Rare-Bird-The-E30-Baur&p=26685441#post26685441
The POOLEMAN"S car to the right, Doppelganger to the left.



Doppelganger took a hit.


Input from Jeroen J of The Netherlands, our Resident Baur Guru:

That's the B43051-13, sold by Riemer&Oberst in Bad Kreuznach (a small hour drive to the west of Frankfurt, so this might be not the first these two met).




Build sheet, courtesy of THE POOLEMAN:
  1. VIN longWBAAA710909165868
    Type codeAA71
    Type323I (EUR)
    Dev. seriesE30 ()
    Line3
    Body typeLIM
    SteeringLL
    Door count2
    EngineM20
    Cubical capacity2.30
    Power0
    TransmisionHECK
    GearboxMECH
    ColourALPINWEISS (146)
    UpholsterySCHWARZ KUNSTLEDER (0166)
    Prod. date1984-10-26
    Order options
    No.Description
    286BMW LM RAD/BMW STYLING
    300ZENTRALVERRIEGELUNG ELEKTRISCH
    350WAERMESCHUTZGLAS GRUEN, RUNDUM
    410WINDOW LIFTS, ELECTRIC AT FRONT
    530AIR CONDITIONING
    661BMW Bavaria C Business RDS
    682RADIOANTENNE AUTOMATISCH
    690CASSETTE HOLDER
    829CONVERTIBLE CONVERSION PREPARATION   
    Great story, and nice find, Ed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment