1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

A Tale of Two Baurs: From Michael Compensis in Germany!

Once again, I wish to express my thanks to the many folks around the world who help our work here at Baurspotting by sending me information on Baurs that they may own, or may have spotted in their travels.   Here is a perfect example: from our friend and fellow Baur owner Michael Compensis in Germany, who sent me this email recently.

"Hi Tom,

i’ve got two Baurs for you. I found one of them while I was searching for my own one. The car I attached is a henna red 318 with Baur number 1438.......



I found this Baur in Germany, near Ingolstadt. Meanwhile this car does not exist anymore.  :-(  When I found it more than one year ago, it was so rusty, that ist was nearly impossible to save it. There was no client to find for this car, so the owner first startet to rebuild it, but gave up one year later an parted the car.  I have not got pictures, but the trunk only existed by the exterior… the bottom was rusted away… same for the front of the car.  That was the reason for me not to buy it."









































But then in Oktober 2014 I found "my“ Baur. It’s a 320/6 with Baur Nr. 616. The car was manufactured in 12/78 in Munich, and is first registered in 03/79. I found that car close to the French border, bought it an brought it to Munich where I live.  Now I slightly bring it back to an original-look. 





Baur 616 Michael Compensis

I add you some pictures. The first Picture is at the BMW 4-Cylinder Headquarter here in Munich. The other ones are taken on my trip to Italy in September 2015.



Regards from Munich



Michael"


So I did a little research on Baur #616 and I found these pics in the International Baur Registry. The pics were small, so I am unable to enlarge them very much without losing detail.  







You can see what Michael means about returning it to its 'original look'.  Compare the front grill in these Registry pics to the grill in Michael's current pics.  The grill with square lights was an after market kit (Taifun was one example) that was available back in the 1980's, but has gone out of fashion today.  

I also checked the VIN Decoder:
Vehicle Identification Number WBAAA710009538442
Type AA71
Model 323i - EUR
Development Code E30
Chassis LIM
Steering LL
Doors 2
Engine M20
Displacement 2.30
Power 0
Drivetrain HECK
Transmission MECH
Color Burgundrot Metallic - 199
Upholstery Perlbeige - 0153
Production Plant
Production Date 1984-04-02


Options
225 Sportliche Fahrwerksabstimmung Sportliche Fahrwerksabstimmung
280 Bmw Lm Rad/speichenstyling Bmw Lm Rad/speichenstyling
299 Lt/aly Wheels W Mixed Tyres Lm Raeder Mit Mischbereifung
308 Handschuhkastenschloss, Gleich Handschuhkastenschloss, Gleich
311 Elektrischer Beifahrerspiegel Elektrischer Beifahrerspiegel
320 Model Designation, Deletion Modellschriftzug Entfall
326 Rear Spoiler, Deletion Heckspoiler Entfall
350 Waermeschutzglas Gruen, Rundum Waermeschutzglas Gruen, Rundum


Very nice job, Michael, beautiful Baur!  Thank you for sending!  


No comments:

Post a Comment