1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cincinnati Baur UPDATE!


Great news!

I was able to speak to the owner of the Polaris Cincinnati Baur today by telephone!  Nice fella.


He told me he has a shop that mainly concentrates on BMW motorcycles, and he is looking to move this Baur.




1) Baur plate number is 3405. It is not in the International Baur Registry yet, so the is indeed a NEW FIND!



2) He described the manual transmission as having 1st gear DOWN AND TO THE LEFT! That sounds to me like the DOGLEG TRANSMISSION, folks! I will try to get some info to confirm that (pics, perhaps), and to make sure sure that I didn't misunderstand him.



3) He also has information---- unconfirmed at this point--- that this Baur may have a 'celebrity ownership' in its provenance. The report is that a 'famous person' once owned this car. FWIW. Baurspotting has offered to assist him, as we have done for several other Baurs, in trying to track down some info to confirm or deny this report. I dont know if the report is true or false, but it would be fun to try to find out. In a few minutes of cursory research today, I did discover that this 'famous person' did indeed at one point own a BMW M1. And.... he did live in that area.... so who knows!! Did he also own this Baur? Curious minds want to know!!!


Baurspotting is ON THE CASE!


:)

Please keep in mind that there are many reports of car/celebrity connections, many of which do not pan out for one reason or another.  My favorite example--- ok it is a fictional one, but still one of my faves----  is the famous "Jon Voight's car episode of Seinfeld  (Chrysler LeBaron convertible if I recall correctly).  George Costanza buys the car thinking it once belonged to the movie star, and hoping to cash in on the vicarious celebrity of the car.... but  it turns out to have belonged to a John Voight, a dental student--- nothing at all to do with the famous actor!

:)
So Baurspotting will make every effort to keep this in perspective, and to maintain a healthy, objective, skepticism until we can get some conclusive proof, one way or the other.


So stay tuned, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment