1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Two Connecticut Baurs Make It Into DIE ZEITUNG, the CT Valley Chapter Magazine

You may recall this post from last July, when Baurspotting attended the BMWCCA Connecticut Valley Chapter (CVC)  'Bring More Wax' Show and Shine at Wickham Park in Manchester, CT. I arranged to meet there for the first time with Afonso, the owner of the only other known Baur in CT.  Here is a link to that post.
http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2011/07/two-e21-baurs-at-connecticut-valley.html

Well, we have an update to that post.  The CT Valley Chapter publishes a great bi-monthly magazine (DIE ZEITUNG)  of the club's activities.  Botond Pal, photographer, was at the Show and Shine that day shooting pics of all the cars at the show.  The magazine is now available online, and you can view his photos of the show, including pics of the two Baurs together.  Here is the link:
http://bmwccacvc.org/dzmagazine.htm 
 
Check out the Sept-Oct 2011 edition, and turn to page 12-13.  Our appearance is mentioned in the text, and we are pictured together at the center bottom of page 6.  That pic was taken at the end of the show, just as both Afonso and I were in our cars leaving the park. 
In addition, you can see Afonso's beautiful Baur in the pics on the left column (that is me in the white hat/blue shirt standing behind his car, btw).  Afonso and I can also be seen in two pics on page 13, right column, center (I am in the white hat, Afonso is in the dark blue baseball cap).  We are also in the pic above that one, seated together at lunch.  It was a beautiful day for a picnic, and it was great to meet Afonso!  Thank you to DIE ZEITUNG for the great coverage!
http://issuu.com/ctvalley/docs/sept-oct_dz?mode=window&viewMode=doublePage

But that is not all.  Check out page 6 of the same Sept-Oct 2011 edition.  A few weeks before the Show and Shine (above) in Manchester, the CVC hosted a mid-week Ice Cream Social in Colchester, CT, which I was able to attend.  This was my first event with the local chapter, and I was hoping to be able to learn more about another CT Baur that I had seen in pictures (thanks to bimmerforums member Davey101)  at previous club events. I met club officers Lance Johnson and  Dave Rich that night, and sure enough, they knew of the other Baur.   Dave passed along my information to the other owner, who turned out to be Afonso, of course, and we were able to make arrangements to meet with our Baurs at the Show and Shine event depicted above.  That is how it happened, folks.  Thank you to Dave and Lance for helping make it happen.

But I digress.  Page 6 has several pics of the Colchester Ice Cream Social.  You can see the Baurspotting Baur in the background of the pic with the young lady, and also at the extreme left of the bottom pic on that page. There were some great cars at both shows, btw, including a number of M cars, Dinans, supercharged Z3s, 850s, etc., and I am grateful to the photographers--- and the editors--- for giving a little play to our beloved Baurs. 

It is also worth noting that the most frequently heard comment in the vicinity of the Baurs at both of those shows was.... "I have never seen one of these in person before."  So let's get those Baurs out to some shows this year, boys and girls!

P.S.  I almost overlooked this.... but check out the cover of the magazine also... upper left corner, there is the Baurspotting Baur with the hood raised!   ;)
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment