1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Small Baur World! BMW 1982 320 E30 5 speed 6 Cylinder - $8000! Baur #2581 Again!

Baurspotting knows this Baur!  We have been tracking this one for several years, and through three owners.  This is Baur #2581, one of the original 25 US Spec Baurs imported to North America by BMW.  It originally went to Canada, and has since come down to the US.  It is no longer a US Spec model, since the engine has been swapped out to an E30 M20.  While that may be perceived as an improvement in performance--- and if it is running that is undoubtedly true----- but in our mind, it would be more collectible in its original, uber-rare, US Spec version.

But, c'est la vie.  Here it is!




















From the seller:

"Looking for somebody who knows about this.This is a very rare US import. Only 25 of them were sent to the US market. It's very rare 6 cilynders not 4. Needs full restoration. Engine needs to be rebuild its blockin now. I can throw E30 6 cylinder motor in here but to keep vin matching. I have the original wheels. 18 inch BB is not included in sale. Recaro seats I have door panels new front and back comes with the car. The car is worth 20K it's yours for $8000 firm. Text only : four oh seven-867-9575 Mike Zaza"

OK, so the bottom line is that it is listed as a "320".   It is no longer a '320i", nor is it even a 320.  I am not sure what he means by 'to keep the VIN matching".  The only way he can keep the VIN matching is to return the original M10 320i engine, and I see no mention of that anywhere.  

Here are some previous posts on Baur #2581, including more pics.  This Baur was formerly located in the Atlanta area btw:

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2014/12/rare-us-spec-e21-baur-for-sale-in.html
http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/05/hotlanta-baurs-got-em-all.html

Don't get me wrong, I would love someone to save this Baur.  It is definitely one of the original North American 25.  You can find it listed on this chart:



















Scroll down the second column on the right, a little past the halfway mark.  You will see "72581'.   Read the info on that row:  this is that car!  But with a different engine.


http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5149040514.html

I personally think it would be more be more valuable from a collectible perspective in its original specifications.    I do not think that it is worth $8000 as is, but I do think it is worth saving!   I hope someone feels the same as I do, and buys it to save it from the crusher!

Stay tuned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment