1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Baurspotting Meets Blizzard Nemo. Nemo Wins,Temporarily. :) But We Are Back, Baby!


Tom using snowblower Saturday morning in the driveway.  First cut through to the street.  Pic by Cathy.

Baurspotting, located here in SE Connecticut USA, got hit with a major storm event Friday evening: Blizzard Nemo.  We lost power about 9:20pm Friday night, and since we have a well, that also means we are without water.  Bummer, dude!  Nemo dumped somewhere around 20 inches of snow on us from Friday midday until Saturday around noon.  It is hard to determine the exact amount due to the drifting from winds that were in the 60 mph range at times.  But trust me, it was a helluva lot of snow.  To add to the adventure 81% of my town was without of power, and then the temperature dipped to single digits Saturday night.  9 Degreees at my house.

You can see in the pic above that the snow is nearly over the top of the snowblower.  in some places it WAS over the top!  I spent 5 hours Satruday, and another two+ hours Sunday clearing out my driveway...... and I am STILL not done!  (I have a long driveway.)  The problem on Sunday was that the snow pack had frozen solid overnight with temps dipping into the single digits.  Did you ever try to snow blow a glacier?  That is what is was like today!  Very slow going.

Luckily, I have a small propane heater that my son, Brian, gave me as a gift for use in the garage on cold nights a couple of years ago.  So I brought that inside the house and lit it up Saturday afternoon.  We were able to maintain that house during the day Saturday at about 52 degrees, which is livable, but we had to shut it off overnight, of course, and the indoor temp had dropped to 42 degrees by morning.  That is cold.  I fired up that little heater again Sunday morning, and got the temp back into the 50s.
Saturday morning looking at our front yard from the porch.  Pic by Cathy.  BTW, that pic is NOT in greyscale.  That is exactly how the sky appeared Satuday morning..... it was still snowing.  

Pic looking out our front bedroom window Saturday morning.  Pic by Cathy.  The drifting snow gives you an indication of the wind factor overnight.  The roof slopes down and away from the base of that window... so that snowdrift is at least two feet high.  Maybe three.


The pic below was taken by my wife, Cathy, Saturday afternoon as the daylight was fading.  Notice there are no lights on in the house.  Power is out.

Power was finally restored at about 3pm Sunday, thank goodness.

So Baurspotting is slowly getting back to speed as we thaw out and calm down from what was, frankly, a  rather traumatic past few days.  But... we are all safe, sound and warm now so.... damn the torpedoes!  Full steam ahead!

:)


P.S.  I would be remiss if I didn't give a strong shout-out to the men and women of CT Light and Power (CL&P) .  Thanks to their hard work and dedication over the past few days, I can now sit here at the computer at about 10:30pm, house lights on, dishwasher humming, furnace going, water pump pumping with the house at a comfortable 68 degrees.... and an outside temp of 18 degrees btw.... in complete comfort.  Absence surely makes the heart grow fonder!  We sorely missed those creature comforts for the past 48 hours or so, and.... we surely appreciate them now!

Thank you, Cl&P!

P.S.S.

Thank you.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment