1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Project Journal: 1973 2002 First Drive 2/24/2013


Last week I went out to fiddle with the '02 and for some reason it just wouldn't start.  I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it, but I did try starting fluid several times and it just would NOT fire!   I was a little puzzled because it has been starting for the past few weeks without a problem.  

So Saturday I went out to look at it for a bit in the afternoon.  Before even trying to start it, I decided to check the plugs.  Sure enough they were all heavily blackened with unburnt fuel.  So I pulled all the plugs and cleaned them up.

Sure enough, that was all that was needed.  The 2002 started up after a few seconds, and ran fine.  I let it run for about 20 minutes, starting and stopping it a few times to make sure it was ok.

I went back out to the garage Sunday afternoon, and it started up again with no problem.   I decided that it was time to see if it could move under its own power!   :)

Here is what I found:






This is the first time it has moved under its own power since I bought it last November!




And back into the shelter of the garage.  It still needs to stay inside since some of the window seals are missing.  And, as I mentioned in an earlier post.... the brakes are very weak.  I have filled the brake reservoir, but I have not yet determined why the fluid was so low.  I do not see any blatant leaks at any of the wheel cylinders or around the master cylinder, so I am suspicious of the functioning of the master cylinder and power brake servo.

But anyway, in the meantime.... Woo hoo!  Not only is it alive...... but it can move!  Not the prettiest car you have ever seen, for sure, but.....  it sure looks pretty good to me!

Now that we know that it runs and drives..... the rest is just.... mopping up.

;)

O Happy Day!

Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment