1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

1973 2002 Project Journal Update 2/17/2013

2/16/2013
Well we have just weathered the Blizzard of 2013 which totally knocked us out for a couple of days last week, but we are slowly getting back up to normal.  I finally had a chance to go back out to the garage for a little while Saturday afternoon to fiddle with the '02.

I had a great time, btw.  Temp was about 33 degrees and a light snow was falling, which is just fine as far as I am concerned.  After sitting undisturbed for about a week or so, the '02 started up with no problem, although it is running a little rough.  I am very pleased with that, nevertheless.  I have not been able to find any leakage---- yet---- from the brake system, and the brakes do seem to working fine.  I am not sure why they needed so much fluid when I checked them last.  I need to keep an eye on that.

Anyway, I ran the engine for a little while.... it doesn't want to stay idling at around 950 rpms like it did last week.  Nothing to worry about, but I am curious.

The windshield wipers have been stuck frozen in the middle of the windshield for weeks.  Personally, I am on  a big learning curve here, so I didn't want to mess with it too much just yet.  However, I did chase the wires through the firewall, and I did find a plug connector.  I took a little sandpaper to the connector plug, which wasn't very effective.  I pulled out a couple of wire brushes and tried to clean up both male and female sides of the connector.  Lots of corrosion evident.  I plugged it in again, and got in the car.  As soon as I turned the key, the wipers, which had been stuck halfway up on the windshield, moved back into their resting position.  I hit the lever again, and sure sure enough the wipers are working!  YES!  A little corrosion cleanup did the trick!

The interior and the trunk are in the same condition they were in when I brought the car home last November.....  which is to say they are loaded with tires, rims, and miscellaneous parts that were included in the deal. I haven't even looked at the stuff, frankly, so I had no idea what was in there until now.  So here is what I found:  a set of 6 E21 turbine rims, four with decent tires mounted on them;  a spare tire mounted on a steel rim that matches the rims presently on the car;  two sunroof windscreens;  a plastic milk carton full of miscellaneous tune up parts, e.g., several sets of NIB distributor caps, rotors, and points, along with a set of spark plugs (some old some new).  Another box full of used rubber window seals, and more Several used spark plug wires.
Terrible pic, but there is a tire under there on an E21 Turbine rim.

Contents of the cardboard box in the trunk, with most of the used seals removed.

Miscellaneous window seals, jumper cables and a large funnel.

Front passenger seat with two loose turbine rims and another turbine with a tire.

Lousy pic of the rear seat area which now contains another turbine wheel, the spare steelie and a door card from the rear seat.  The rear seat is completely missing.  I have an E21 parts car, and I am told that the rear seat is a pretty direct fit.  I also plan to use the the two front seats from the E21 in this '02.  The current seats, a threadbare E30 recaro in the driver's postition and an E30 comfort seat for the front passenger are ok, but they really are not a good fit.  
I want to give a nod at this point to one of my favorite E21 stickers,which is aimed directly at 2002 owners:  "E21s;  Friends, not food."  Apparently paraphrased from that Nemo animated movie.   I own 4 E21s.  My two favorite cars are my E21 Baur and my 1977 320i.  I also own this 1973 2002 and 3 E30s.  OK, so the '73 '02 and the 91 325 5 speed ix are right up there with the E21s!  I love them all!

So I make no apologies whatsoever for using my 1978 320i as a parts car for what ever I deem I need.  In this case, I need the interior of that E21 for this 2002.  I originally bought this 1978 parts car for its interior to be used in my 1979 E21 323i Euro.  At this point a lot of these former plans are in a state of flux.... and I consider myself amazingly fortunate to have so many great options available.  

The bottom line is that I have so many options, so many potential projects, that I clearly need several more lifetimes to complete them.  Who do I talk to about that?    ;)

Here is a pic of the plastic milk carton containing a heat shield for the exhaust manifold, and several sets of tune-up gear:  points, plugs, condenser, rotor and distributor caps.I assume, but can't yet confirm, that they are for this engine.  It is kinda funny because, with the engine running a little rough, I was just about to order a complete tune up kit!  I will need a new set of wires and plugs, but it looks like everything else is here.  Nice!

BTW, VIN 2587821. Malaga.




No comments:

Post a Comment