1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Project Journal Update: We Have Brakes!

Finally got around to looking at the 'no brakes' situation this week.  I had filled up the brake fluid reservoir, and sure enough, I had brakes --- momentarily!  Steady pressure on the pedal would drive it to the floor, though, so I knew I was losing it somewhere.  I couldn't see any obvious leaks at first, but then I got under the car with a good light, and I could see that the right rear wheel had a peculiar spot.  I pulled the wheel and the drum, and sure enough the wheel cylinder was bad.

Old leaky wheel cylinder passenger side rear

You can see the old cylinder above, after I replaced it.  I ordered a new one from FCP, and installed sunday without a problem.  Well..... almost no problem.  

I had taken it apart about two weeks ago--- first time I have done an old style drum brake in years!  I had released the brake shoe spring and the shoes to get a look around and clean in there.  When I went to reassemble everything two weeks later, I had it in my mind that I needed another spring to assemble it correctly.  So I looked all  over for this 'mystery' spring to no avail.  I am usually pretty careful to keep all the disassembled parts together.  Don't tell me I inadvertently scooped it up and threw it out with the trash when I was cleaning up!  Day um.  It was quitting time anyway, so I decided to look around again another day, and also break down and take a look at the Haynes manual for a visual of what it should look like re-assembled.

New wheel cylinder installed.

After reviewing the pics in the manual, I realized why it is not a good idea to wait two weeks between disassembly and re-assembly:   You forget stuff!   All the fuss about a missing spring was for naught:  I didn't misplace or lose anything!  I just forgot that there was only the one spring needed! 


So it all went back together nicely, no missing parts, and no extra parts.... which is the way I like it!  And... best of all.... I know that I now have solid brakes!  Not that I care, really, but, I gotta admit that once in awhile.... they do come in handy!


No comments:

Post a Comment