1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Baur Package Express! ;)

These pics were taken today at the Greyhound Bus Terminal in New London CT, where I picked up a package delivery from my new friend Artur A. in Baltimore, MD.



 
The view in the distance is Groton CT, across the Thames River, where I work.  

My oversize passenger.


And here it is below, safely arrived home

Don't you just love the way it fits in that open rear Baur roof?  Landaulette style!

What, may you ask, is that huge package?  We will get to all that in a minute.  :)

The point of all these pics, however, is, firstly, to once again show the versatility of the BMW Baur!  That is a large, awkward package, measuring  57" x 26" x 14".  It weighs 83 pounds.  I initially tried to squeeze it in through the passenger side door with the front seat lowered all the way down.  It was a struggle, and I just said.... wait a sec.... I have a Baur!  I dropped the rear soft top, and popped it into the back seat.  I gave it a little twist, and VOILA!  A perfect fit over the front passenger seat, and sticking up through the rear open roof!  

I drove it back to work (this was during my lunch) on I95 at 60 + mph.... no problemo!  45 degrees ambient temperature, btw.  But I was perfectly comfortable under the Targa roof!

At the end of the day I drove it home, my normal 10 mile commute, again with no problem.  Well, other than a few dropped jaws as I passed by.  The look on their faces was .... roughly.... how did he do that?   :)

Did I mention that I love this car?  ;)

BWR PWR!


OK, so what is inside that package?  
I have a 1989 325iC (convertible).   The roof is shot and leaking, the rear window is split and taped up..  To make matters worse, during the recent blizzard, while clearing 20+ inches of snow off the roof.... I accidentally (ok stupidly) put a push broom through what was left of the rear window.  Day um.  I couldn't believe I did that!  And heavy rain was forecast for that very night!  Double day um!  So I tried to seal it up with tape------ forget that!  I covered it with a huge tarp for the time being, while I debated what to do about replacing that roof.  

I was resigned to buying a new top and installing it---- or paying someone to do it for me when ...... to my great surprise, I discovered this ad on craigs list:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190798572196?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Do you believe it?  The EXACT top that I need!   In good condition, reportedly, and just basically what appears to be a bolt-in operation!  Perfect!  Kismet!  I could hardy believe that there was a blue convertible roof and frame for sale at the exact time that I needed one!  What are the chances of that?

Long story short.... that is what is inside that bulky package.  It was listed as a pickup only but.....the seller, a very nice fella---- not to mention a BMW guy!---- , agreed to ship it via Greyhound Package Express.  And you can see what a beautiful job he did packing it up for me  Wow!  Thank you again, Artur!

Let me put in a plug here for Greyhound Package Express!  It took a week, but... they shipped it to me for a price that is unbeatable!  My alternative was to drive the 350 miles (one-way) to Baltimore and pick it up myself.  All things considered:  fuel, tolls, time, hassle, etc..... did I mention the intangible aggravation factor----try putting a price on that!  For about $100 bucks, more or less, Greyhound was well worth the money. 

 So... the roof is here..... and it is now safely tucked away in my garage, awaiting installation.  If all goes well, that may actually happen this weekend.  

For a related post, see:
http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/08/baur-six-cars-in-one.html
The BMW Baur:  Six Cars in One!

No comments:

Post a Comment