1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

BMW 2002 Diana Baur Targa..... Hoax?


Here is the pic of the 2002 Diana Targa that I posted the other day.  I found it on the internet, and it purports to be 2002 Diana Baur Targa.
Exhibit A

It also appears to be from a BMW Archive.  So far, so good.  It does look rather curiously fresh and... shiny, though, doesn't it?



Exhibit B

There were 12 Dianas built.  Here is a grouping of what appears to be the 12 original Dianas.  So..... where is the red Baur Diana Targa in this pic?\

It isn't in the pic.  

Hmmm.  

So, what is the story on the red Targa pictured above?  Is it a hoax?  Is it a toy reproduction of what a Baur Diana Targa would look like?  Another BMW April Fool's Joke?  Or, is it possible that someone sent one of the original Dianas back to Baur for conversion to a Targa?  Or could there be some other explanation not covered by the above?  

It's a mystery,Charlie Brown!  

Disclaimer:  I had just discovered the 2002 Diana the day that I posted the pic of the red one above.   I thought I would have a little fun with it, since it appeared to be such a rare item.  So rare that perhaps it never existed!!  It doesn't GET any rarer than THAT!  :)   It never occurred to me that it might not be what it purported to be, until I tried--- and failed! ---  to find it in the group photo. 

Anyway, I am curious to know the answer to this little mystery, and since I started the whole thing..... BAURSPOTTING  is ON THE CASE!  I will let you loyal readers know when, and if, I get to the bottom of this!  

The original picture has this caption:
"Picture by way of 02 Club Deutscheland courtesy of BMW AG"

So that looks like as good a place to start as any!

Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment