1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Surprise! Are ratchetting Jack stands really as safe as you think they are? Try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola
I dug out my Craftsman ratcheting jack stand and gave it a close look and a quick test. Mine is the 3 ton and I assume the 4 ton is of simillar design. I raised it halfway, crouched, stood and balanced myself on it, reached down and yanked upward on the handle. To my surprise, it (and I) dropped all the way to the bottom! That was very sobering! Jack stand with pins will never do that! I was expecting it to catch on the next tooth on the rack but not so. The handle only needs to be raised upwards 3/4" to release the rack for it to drop. I'll try to find the owners manual and see what warnings/ instructions are provided.

With the car's weight (let's say 3000 lbs) on the jackstands, how much force is required to hit the handle at such an angle and cause it to go up 3/4"? Any mechanical engineers here want to take a stab at it? The jack release handle is 4.5" long.


Very interesting post.... Thank you very much. I would like to post your results in other forums to continue to raise consciousness on the subject of safety... As well as productive discussion. Yours is a most interesting experiment, worth looking at some more, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment