1982 BMW 323i Baur

1982 BMW 323i Baur
Memorial Day 2010 First Drive 1982 323i BMW Baur Lapisblau M20 5 speed #4154 of 4595 made. The car was imported to California by Dietel Enterprises. I have since changed the wheels, installed the clear turn signal lenses, and I am in the process of installing a new cabriolet roof. I have to do something about those bumpers, too. :) I love this car! To see one of the reasons why, check my post "Score One For the Good Guys" on 6/26/2011.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Jesse's Fire-Damaged Baur: To Save, Or Not To Save, That Is The Question!



I got a message the other day from Steven Henriksen, who is the current owner of our friend Jesse's former Baur, which you may recall was damaged in a fire in his storage place last January.  Here is a link to that story*.

Here is the Baur (#4210, btw) in better days:





Here are the pics that Steve sent me, showing its current sad condition:

Here is the message that I got from Steve:

"Hey, I have a question for you. I am the current owner of Jesse's old TC1 that was lost in the tragic fire. It is currently just a shell, with no suspension or drivetrain. I'm not sure what to do with the car, it doesn't feel right just hauling it to the scrap yard, but there isn't really much of anything salvageable from it. I thought you might have an idea, or maybe know someone who could use something from it. Or at least set my mind at ease enough to just haul it to scrap. I included a couple of photos so you can see the current condition. Thanks for your advice"



Steve thinks that some parts are salvageable, and, for an ambitious person, even restorable.  

(For inspiration, see Peter van Uum's Build-A-Baur Project:  http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2014/04/build-your-own-baur-peters-project.html)

So, what do you think?  Anyone want to take on this project?  Anyone need any parts salvaged from it?  All ideas and suggestions are welcome.   I chatted a little more with Steve just now, and we need to keep in mind that something will need to be done with it in the not-too-distant future.  He can't hang onto it forever.  
Steve: 
 I'm afraid that I will be having to take the shell in to the scrap yard in the next couple weeks
😞 I'm sure there are people in the world who would have the ambition and money to completely restore it, but getting it to them is the challenge.

So let's hear your ideas! You can post them here, or email me at: tom82baur@gmail.com. Or you can reach Steven Henriksen on Facebook directly.  

Thanks for contacting me, Steven, and I hope we can find a way to salvage something from this tragedy.


*http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2015/12/very-sad-news-demise-of-jesses.html

No comments:

Post a Comment